Administrative Assistant II — Chemistry
May 08, 2019
Earlham College invites applications for the position of Administrative Assistant II in the Chemistry Department. This is a full-time (40 hours per week during the academic year; 20 hours per week in the summer), hourly staff position with a starting rate of $11.71 per hour, with an increase to $11.86 per hour upon successful completion of 90-day introductory period. Compensation also includes a benefits package.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide clerical support to Chemistry faculty and Laboratory Supervisor, and assist other departments within the Science Division as needed.
- Order supplies (e.g. office supplies, chemicals, gases, instruments, lab supplies, etc.), process invoices, maintain financial records (e.g. purchase orders, credit card purchases, check warrants, and petty cash), transfer expenditures to the appropriate accounts, and tracking departmental shipments.
- Monitor departmental and grant budgets.
- Handle confidential academic materials.
- Identify Chemistry and Biochemistry students who are eligible to take Comprehensive Exams; provide administrative support during all components of the Comprehensive Exams; process information to and from the Registrar’s office (e.g. class lists, schedules, etc.).
- Edit, create and proofread documents. Assist in the scheduling of meetings, reserving of meeting rooms and classrooms, and attend weekly departmental meetings and record official minutes.
- Schedule and organize departmental events.
- Organize faculty searches and retirement gatherings for the department, which includes, but is not limited to meal and lodging reservations, itineraries and other activities.
- Provide receptionist duties: answer and direct questions from students, parents, faculty, staff and other campus guests via phone, in person or by email.
- Interface with the Admission Office regarding prospective students and the Carleton B. Edwards Chemistry Scholarships.
- Oversee servicing and ordering of supplies for divisional photocopier and departmental printers.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Experience & Qualifications
- A high school diploma or GED certification is required.
- An associate’s degree or one to two years of experience working in a post-secondary academic environment is preferred.
- Experience handling cash.
- Computer training in Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn other computer software programs and general office equipment experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work and supervise students in a diverse atmosphere.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision; ability to multitask and manage multiple project deadlines in a timely and professional manner, handle several responsibilities at one time.
- Excellent phone etiquette; good oral and written communication skills.
- A working knowledge of chemistry is not required nor necessary for this position.
- Employment is contingent upon a credit check and criminal records check.
Qualified employees wishing to be considered among the applicants for this position should notify their supervisors and the Human Resources Office promptly.
All applicants, whether or not they are current employees, should send a letter of application; resume; and the name, position title, email and phone number for three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Application Form for Hourly Staff Positions
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.