Assistant Director of Human Resources
August 20, 2019
Earlham College is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Director of Human Resources in the Human Resources Office. This is a full-time, 12-month administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a benefit package.
Supervised by the Director of Human Resources, the Assistant Director of Human Resources will be trained to perform a variety of services related to the College benefit programs, employee orientation and training processes, employee relations and data analytics. This is an opportunity to enter the field of Human Resources in an institution progressively working to evolve our Department into a strong business partner to all areas of the College.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead new employee orientation, mandatory training, and development programs from the point of hire through progressive professional growth and/or skill maintenance for staff and administrative faculty.
- Develop, implement and evaluate employee education programs. Work with other College departments to develop and present a coordinated and effective training experience. Prepare related research and information for the Director of Human Resources for planning and program development and improvement.
- Respond to inquiries regarding policies, procedures and programs.
- Answer requests of position descriptions, FLSA classification compliance and departmental hiring needs.
- Assist departments with the development or updating of all position descriptions, to include department, supervisor, hours per week, a clear list of responsibilities, qualifications needed for the position, and expectations of employee performance; assure uniformity of job descriptions; and manage all position postings in a database.
- Benchmark compensation as well as advise of the classification of exempt/non-exempt employees.
- With the Director, coordinate and monitor the processing of information related to employment such as hires, promotions, transfers, leaves of absence, salary adjustments, terminations and retirements, and exit interviews.
- Keep current with industry trends and other pertinent information on each benefit program assigned, retain accurate files on benefit provider/carriers regarding plan descriptions, contracts, amendments and other benefit related documents, and maintain relationship with fringe benefit providers.
- Coordinate benefit plan open enrollment; communicate with employees and retirees regarding benefit programs — including orientation, exit processes and insurance claims.
- Work directly with carriers for specific inquiries or claims that require higher escalation than general inquires or claims.
- Maintain accurate and complete personnel files on employees.
- Coordinate the evaluation process for faculty and staff annually.
Experience & Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- Ability to perform and passion for employee benefit plan administration.
- Strong understanding of principles, practices, methods and terminology used in human resources administration.
- Competency using interpersonal skills with tact, patience and courtesy.
- Ability to work confidentially with discretion.
- Ability to work independently with little direction.
- Ability to compose correspondence and prepare reports independently and from oral instructions.
- Attention to detail is critical.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references as a single electronic file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.