Assistant Men’s and Women’s Track & Field Coach
August 30, 2019
Earlham College is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Men's and Women's Track & Field Coach in the Department of Athletics. This is a full-time, 11-month administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a benefit package. The Assistant Men's and Women's Track & Field Coach reports to the Head Men's and Women's Track & Field Coach.
The Assistant Men’s and Women’s Track & Field Coach will be responsible for supporting the efforts of the track & field programs and working to assist the Head Coach in performing all duties in compliance with all NCAA, Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference and Earlham College rules and regulations.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following functions:
- Meet annual recruitment goals established by the Director of Athletics and Head Coach.
- Build relationships with prospective student-athletes and their families.
- Assist the head coach in planning and executing prospective student-athlete visits to campus and with off-campus contacts with prospective student-athletes.
- Assist head coach in generating and responding to prospective student-athlete contacts generated throughout the year. These include coach's mailings, attendance at competitions and camps, recruiting services, and admissions contacts.
- Establish and maintain recruiting database for recruiting utilizing the software program designated by the Department of Athletics.
- Utilize a variety of communication platforms to recruit prospective student-athletes (e.g., phone calls; texts; social media; emails; etc.).
- Attend practices and/or competitions of recruits.
- Assist in summer recruiting efforts by attending competitions and other recruitment opportunities as designated by the Head Coach.
- Assist the head coach in serving as the travel coordinator by arranging bus and van schedules, airline travel, pre- and post-game meals, and overnight accommodations.
- Assist the head coach in serving as the recruiting visit coordinator by arranging schedules through the Admissions Office.
- Assist the head coach in serving as the inventory coordinator for uniforms and team gear.
- Assist the head coach in serving as the social media coordinator as described by the head coach.
- Attain van certification through Earlham’s Public Safety Office to assist with van transportation of recruits and student-athletes.
- Assist the head coach in monitoring academic progress of student-athletes and engage in student-athlete advising as described by head coach.
- Be a presence in the office and available to assist student-athlete needs.
- Engage and maintain contact with the Sports Marketing and Communication Office and respond to requests as needed.
- Collaborate with head coach on daily practice plan.
- Assist with all practice and competition day set up.
- Assist in planning and oversight of strength and conditioning sessions and individual workouts in season.
- Assist in designing off-season workouts.
Game Day Responsibilities
- Assist head coach in competition preparation and management
- Perform post-meet duties including, but not limited to, arranging team meal(s), unpacking/returning equipment, implements, etc.; and communicating with the Sports Marketing and Communication Office.
- Help distribute, collect and inventory student-athlete gear and equipment.
- Assist with all program fundraisers and alumni outreach.
- Assist with appropriate program marketing, including social media accounts.
- Be knowledgeable and able to assume head coaching responsibilities in case the head coach is unable to perform his or her duties.
- Be an active member of the athletics department staff by attending staff meetings and other department scheduled activities,
- Be responsive and timely with all requests from departmental support staff (administrative leadership; athletic trainer(s); etc.).
- Assist in game management duties for other department programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
Experience & Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- Previous collegiate experience whether it be coaching or playing, and/or success as a head coach at the high school level.
- The ability to demonstrate exceptional leadership and a commitment to, and understanding and appreciation of, NCAA Division III athletics and wellness in a private liberal arts college.
- A current and valid driver’s license is required.
All Department of Athletics employees are required to demonstrate exemplary ethical conduct and conformance to NCAA rules and regulations; the duties of the position are to be performed in compliance with all NCAA, Conference and College rules and regulations; and any rules violations on behalf of themselves or any knowledge of violations within the department are to be reported to the appropriate parties. Violation of NCAA and other College or Conference regulations shall be subject to possible disciplinary action.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references as a single electronic file to the Earlham College Human Resources Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).