Administrative Assistant — Joseph Moore Museum
October 10, 2018
Earlham College invites applications for the position of Administrative Assistant for the Joseph Moore Museum (JMM). This is a part-time, hourly staff position (23 hours per week — Monday, Noon - 5 p.m.; Tuesday-Friday, 12:45 p.m. -5:15 p.m., plus occasional additional hours up to 29 hours/week). The starting pay rate is $11.71 per hour, with an increase to $11.86 per hour upon successful completion of 90-day introductory period.
The College seeks a qualified and dynamic person for immediate hire. This person will staff the Museum’s front desk as the eyes and ears of the museum during weekday open hours (1 - 5 p.m.), upholding the Museum’s exceptional customer service standards of safety, courtesy, cleanliness and efficiency. They will balance delivering front desk service and providing administrative support for the JMM faculty.
First publicly opened in 1887, the JMM has long been known as the region’s natural history museum and is located in Richmond, Indiana, on the campus of Earlham College. The JMM is a dynamic college museum focused on forging meaningful connections among community members and supporting exploration and application of scholarly knowledge to topics of importance to society. The Museum is largely student-run, where faculty provide support, training, and mentorship for students who are learning to be tour leaders, exhibit developers, researchers and collections specialists. JMM strives to create engaging community programs and exhibits that combine the strengths of the College's natural history and ethnographic collections, planetarium, scholarly research of Earlham College faculty, and the passions of our three museum faculty and approximately 45 undergraduate student staff.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Receive, direct and assist Museum visitors.
- Manage the gift shop, including sales, restocking and ordering.
- Follow procedures for ensuring safety of Museum visitors and collections including working closely with the Office of Public Safety and Richmond Police Department when necessary.
- Oversee the physical space of the exhibit museum, including walking through all areas of the exhibit museum on a daily basis to identify any maintenance and repair needs, and scheduling services to resolve any issues.
- Field telephone calls and email inquiries in a professional and prompt manner.
- Schedule field trips and other group tours, including communicating with and scheduling student tour guides and outside group leaders.
- Provide administrative support in the areas of advertising, word processing, and filing, including distribution of electronic and printed promotional materials.
- Assist with Museum accounting, including monthly credit card reports, expense and income recording, deposits and reimbursements.
- Create, maintain and update accurate data sets for various reporting needs, including visitor statistics.
- Assist with the preparation of policies, reports and procedures documentation.
- Assist with planning and implementation of special events, including ordering, set-up and takedown.
- Supervise and interface with student workers.
- Attend meetings to include note taking as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience & Qualifications
- A high school degree or equivalent is required; a bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Two years experience in an administrative setting.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds is required.
- Frequent standing, walking and sitting are required.
- Occasional weekend and evening hours are required.
- Transportation for delivering promotional materials is required.
- Must be detail oriented with excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, oral and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with software such as Microsoft Office word processing and spreadsheets, project management (e.g., Basecamp and Slack) and scheduling (e.g., Zimbra) systems.
Please send a letter of interest; a resume; and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The starting date is as early as possible, preferably prior to October 30, 2018.
A background check will be required.
Potential applicants are encouraged to contact JMM Outreach Coordinator Lisa Butch at 765-983-1303 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Form for Hourly Staff Positions
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).