Systems Administrator — Information Technology Services
May 16, 2018
Earlham College is accepting applications for the position of Systems Administrator in the Infrastructure Services Division of Information Technology Services. This is a full-time, 12-month administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a benefit package.
The Systems Administrator is supervised by the Chief Information Officer, and will work closely with the Senior Systems and Security Administrator to provide a reliable, secure and efficient server environment for the Earlham College community. The successful candidate is expected to resolve problems, complete projects, and respond to service requests in a timely manner, and should be able to work equally well as a member of a team or individually.
Earlham’s server environment is a mixture of Unix and Windows based systems, running in a VMware virtualized environment. Primary operating systems are FreeBSD, CentOS, RHEL and Windows Server 2008/2012.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage centralized server environment and associated equipment.
- Provide a reliable, secure and efficient server environment for the community.
- Provide day-to-day support of system-related service requests.
- Maintain a high level of security throughout the server environment.
- Participate in the work of Information Technology Services as needed.
- As a member of the Earlham College faculty, participate in the work of the faculty: attending faculty meetings, and, if nominated, serving on faculty committees.
- Install, configure and maintain the OS and applications on all servers as needed.
- Implement patches and upgrades as needed.
- Write programs to provide integration and automation of services as needed.
- Provide user training for system and application services when necessary.
- Work closely with members of Administrative Services to complete projects is a timely fashion.
- Participate in intra-departmental projects and committees as appropriate.
- Work with outside vendors and consultants as needed.
- Share on-call responsibilities for critical service outages.
Experience & Qualifications
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One or more years of UNIX/BSD system administration.
- Experience in creating and maintaining a secure, reliable and robust production server environment.
- Ability to write UNIX based scripts and programs.
- Ability to clearly document processes and procedures.
- Ability to resolve problems, complete projects, and respond to service requests in a timely manner.
- Ability to work equally well as a member of a team or individually.
- Three or more years of UNIX/BSD system administration.
- Experience with automation and configuration management tools such as Ansible and Puppet.
- Experience in the configuration, installation and support of FreeBSD, CentOS, RHEL and Windows 2008/2012 servers.
- Experience with Directory Services (OpenLDAP/Active Directory).
- Experience with VMware.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references as a single electronic file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).