Post-Baccalaureate Position — Computer Science
April 16, 2018
Earlham College invites applications for a Post-Baccalaureate position in the Computer Science department. Salary includes a tuition waiver for one course per semester, use of the College’s wellness facilities, and participation in Earlham College's Group Medical Benefit Plan. Participation in the Health Plan requires a contribution from the participant. Currently this is 1.05% of salary for Employee only coverage.
This position reports to and primarily works with the Computer Science Department faculty. In addition, the successful candidate will work with faculty and students from other departments as a part of the computational support that the Computer Science Department provides for their work.
Ideally, the successful candidate can begin during the summer of 2018 and serve for at least one year and possibly two. This is an ideal position for a recent graduate who is looking to develop their domain, technical, pedagogical and managerial skills before moving on to graduate school or the tech industry.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Administration of the Computer Science Department's computing facilities (desktop labs, servers, clusters).
- Leadership of the System Administrators Applied Group, and possibly one other Applied Group (see https://cs.earlham.edu/applied-groups).
- Additional duties include working with faculty on class or research related projects.
- There is a significant student interaction and mentoring component to the position.
Experience & Qualifications
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or closely related discipline.
- Extensive experience with Unix-based systems and the ability to learn new material quickly.
- The ability to work independently, as a member of a group, and as the leader of a group is required.
- Experience administering production systems for academics and in maintaining critical infrastructure will be looked upon favorably.
Candidates should send applications as a single PDF including: a cover letter that addresses your interests, qualifications and experience; curriculum vitae; undergraduate transcripts. Three letters of recommendation, also in PDF format, should be sent separately. Materials should be sent to:
Computer Science Department
Please do not send application materials via postal mail.
Applications will be evaluated as received, continuing until an appointment is made.
For additional information, contact:
Professor of Computer Science
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).