Assistant Sports Information Director/Athletics Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator
April 05, 2018
Earlham College is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Sports Information Director/Athletics Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator in the Department of Athletics. This is a full-time, 12-month administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes a benefit package.
The Assistant Sports Information Director/Athletics Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator supports the marketing & communication and diversity efforts of the Department of Athletics. This position will assist in the communications of the Department of Athletics and its 20 varsity sports programs including game day sports information functions and assist the College’s diversity efforts by assisting in the development and publication of programming.
This individual will report to the Director of Sports Marketing and Communications for all sports information and promotional functions, and will report to the Associate Director of Athletics for diversity initiatives. This individual must have strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills in order to work with others inside and outside of the College.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following functions:
- Assist in the hiring and oversight of student-workers and interns for office and contest functions.
- Serve as the primary contact for specific programs each season.
- Oversee student and staff volunteers in regards to diversity programming.
- Provide departmental professional development regarding diversity and inclusion initiatives.
Website Content Manager
- Assist in the maintenance and updates to the athletics website: GoEarlham.com.
- Write previews and recaps for all assigned programs and assist with shared programs.
- Publicize award-winners and other athletics department news for assigned programs.
- Keep coaches and student-athlete bios and rosters updated for assigned programs.
- Maintain updated seasonal and historical statistics.
Game Day Management
- Assist in the oversight of game day operations that pertain to sports information.
- Provide/supervise in-game statistics for applicable sports per NCAA statistic regulations.
- Upload statistics for fan viewership for applicable sports and archive statistics for past contests on the athletics website.
- Coordinate video broadcasts for all applicable sports.
- Provide and post action photos for home athletics contests.
- Work closely with appropriate coaching staffs to provide game film.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a social media marketing plan for athletics.
- Post appropriate diversity and inclusion initiatives and programming via social media accounts.
- Assist in managing the Department of Athletics social media accounts including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Periscope and Snapchat for assigned sports.
- Post stories, updates, photos, important information, etc., on all social media accounts for assigned programs.
- Assist with discovering and developing ways to engage with followers and fans.
Design and Promotional Materials
- Create game day programs and notes for home contests of assigned sports.
- Create previous and recaps for assigned sports.
- Create and post graphics for victories, score recaps and others as needed.
- Assist in the creation of advertisement and highlight videos.
- Design diversity and inclusion programming and informational materials.
- Assist in writing and producing the monthly Diversity Progress campus newsletter.
- Assist with working in conjunction with the Office of Marketing and Communications to promote the College.
- Work with Marketing and Communications to coordinate headshots of the student-athletes and coaches and team photos for assigned sports.
- Serve as the Department of Athletics representative on the College’s Diversity Progress Committee, which meets weekly, and report information as needed.
- Serve on search committees for positions across campus.
- Work with Student Life and the Multicultural Center to provide programming to the campus community.
- Encourage student-athlete and athletics staff engagement in initiatives and programming specific to diversity and inclusion.
- Assist in writing diversity and inclusion procedures and policies for the Department of Athletics.
Experience & Qualifications
- A bachelor's degree in a related field (Sport Management, Journalism, Communications, etc.) is required.
- Experience in a collegiate athletic communications/sports information office is required. Experience in journalism or media relations is preferred.
- Interest and passion for diversity and inclusion initiatives and working in a diverse environment.
- Strong computer skills and experience with statistics programs and website maintenance is required.
- Social media experience is required, and social media marketing experience is preferred.
- Strong ability to multitask, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively interact with a wide varsity of people.
This position is funded through the NCAA Division III Ethnic Minority and Women’s Internship Grant. The position is guaranteed for two academic years and includes a generous stipend for professional development and other benefits.
All Department of Athletics employees are required to demonstrate exemplary ethical conduct and conformance to NCAA rules and regulations; the duties of the position are to be performed in compliance with all NCAA, Conference and College rules and regulations; and any rules violations on behalf of themselves or any knowledge of violations within the department are to be reported to the appropriate parties. Violation of NCAA and other College or Conference regulations shall be subject to possible disciplinary action.
Please send a letter of application that addresses the various responsibilities of the position; resume; and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).