Assistant Controller — Accounting
October 16, 2017
Earlham College is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Controller in the Accounting Office. This is a full time, 12-month administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a full benefits package.
The primary duty of the Assistant is to assist the Controller with oversight of the Accounting Office and to take primary responsibility for areas including the external audit, investments and loans, and tax reporting. This position will report to the Controller. The starting date is immediate.
The Assistant Controller position does have the opportunity for internal growth and development. Potential advancement includes transitioning to the role of Controller for the institution.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as primary liaison between Earlham and the external audit team.
- Communicate with audit in-charge regarding pre-audit planning.
- Oversee preparation of all audit workpapers; review prior to submission to the auditors.
- During audit, communicate regularly with audit team regarding audit progress.
- Coordinate with others on campus to obtain all information requested by auditors.
- Prepare and/or review drafts of audited financial statements.
- Strive to ensure that accounting processes and controls in place throughout the year result in a clean, smooth audit at fiscal year-end.
- Oversee accounting for investments, trusts and endowed funds.
- Prepare quarterly endowment investment and distribution reports.
- Prepare accounting and tax reports for gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts and pooled life income funds.
- Oversee accounting for payroll and employee benefits.
- Coordinate between the Human Resources Office and the Accounting Office.
- Assist the Accounting Technology Specialist with posting payroll and benefit feeds.
- Oversee non-resident alien tax matters for students, employees and independent contractors of the College.
- Assist external accountants in preparation of annual IRS Form 990.
- Prepare financial reports for external entities including IPEDS, HLC, EZ-Audit and others.
- Handle accounting for bond, loan and capital lease financing.
- Oversee monthly reconciliations of bank, clearing and liability accounts.
- Manage the Accounting Office in the absence of the Controller.
- Complete other jobs as assigned.
Experience & Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting and minimum three years’ experience in accounting or auditing is required.
- A CPA is strongly preferred.
- Experience with internal or external audits and with financial statement preparation is expected.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills, ability to handle confidential and sensitive information, superior Excel skills, and ability to work independently at a high level of proficiency are required.
Please send a letter of application addressing the responsibilities of the position and qualifications of the applicant; resume; and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, Indiana 47374-4095
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.