Japan Study Program Associate
December 01, 2016
Earlham College is accepting applications for the position of Japan Study Program Associate. This is a full-time (40 hours per week), 12-month administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes a full-benefit package.
The Program Associate’s main duty will be recruiting for the Japan Study program. Japan Study is a long-standing, collaborative initiative linking the 27 colleges of the Great Lakes Colleges Association (GLCA) and the Associated Colleges of the Midwest (ACM) with Waseda University in Japan. The Program Associate reports to the Director of Japan Study and assists him in the administration of various Earlham programs related to Japan, including campus programming, study abroad, faculty development and community outreach.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Recruiting students for the study-abroad programs in Japan — includes travel to member campuses.
- Communicating with representatives and students from member colleges (letters, brochures, handbooks, email, web site, program applications).
- Acting as a liaison between the consortial campuses and our Tokyo office.
- Planning and implementation of orientation programs in the U.S. and Japan, webinars, and pre-departure and post-return orientations.
- Managing a semester-abroad program that sends approximately eight Earlham students and a faculty member to Morioka each year.
- Coordinating the evaluation program and completing yearly evaluation reports.
- Working with Earlham faculty and students interested in Japan.
- Assisting with campus programming related to Japan.
- Facilitating two short-term exchange programs that bring middle- and high-school students from Japan to Indiana.
- Recruiting, hiring and orienting recent graduates for the Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) Program in Morioka and Tanohata.
- Engaging in professional development activities through participation in state, regional and national professional organizations.
- Performing other responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Japan Study.
Experience & Qualifications
- A B.A. degree or higher, preferably in East Asia or Japanese Studies.
- Participant in the Japan Study program as an undergraduate.
- Study or work experience in Japan.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- The ability to work well with students, staff, faculty and parents.
- Japanese language competency.
- Experience in desktop publishing, social media and web site management.
Please send a letter of application that addresses the various responsibilities of the position; resume; and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College continues to build a community that reflects the gender and racial diversity of the society at large, and, therefore, we are particularly interested in inviting and encouraging applications from African Americans, other ethnic minorities, and women. Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.