Assistant Cross Country and Track & Field Coach
November 11, 2016
Earlham College is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Cross Country and Track & Field Coach in the Department of Athletics. This is a full-time, 10-month administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a full benefit package.
The Assistant Cross Country and Track & Field Coach works to assist the Co-Head Coaches, performing all duties in compliance with all NCAA Division III, Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference (HCAC), and Earlham College rules and regulations. Intercollegiate athletics is valued as an integral part of the liberal arts education at Earlham.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
The major impetus for the development of this position is the potential for its positive impact in the recruitment of capable cross country and track & field athletes to Earlham. The assistant will serve athletic recruitment at the direction of the head coaches by:
- Increasing the pool of interested prospective student-athletes via individual contact by phone, email and text messaging.
- Furthering the development of the prospective student-athlete's relationship with Earlham and these programs via contact by phone, email and text messaging.
- Continuing that relationship by face-to-face contacts during the prospective student-athlete’s visit to campus and by attending high school competitions.
- Communicating the unique athletic, academic and social opportunities at Earlham with prospective student-athletes.
- Being central to the positive athletic experience of Earlham athletes with the expectation that their experience is relayed to visiting prospective student-athletes.
- Demonstrating mature leadership and sportsmanship for all aspects of the program to all constituencies.
- Being on-site to assist in the implementation of daily practice regimens for the cross country and track & field programs. This is an academic year-round schedule that extends beyond the regular-season schedule.
- Assisting in the consistent and successful preparation of athletes for competitions.
- Assisting in the promotion of a healthy, rewarding and enjoyable approach to the discipline and demands of training and competition for cross country and track.
- Attending all athletic competitions. The two weekday competitions during the full competitive year may be negotiated.
- Assisting the head coach in the implementation of all coaching-related activities.
- Assisting the head coach in all aspects of home competitions. Occasionally assisting in home course preparation for cross country.
- Attend HCAC cross country and track & field meetings.
- Supporting the academic and co-curricular life of cross country and track & field student-athletes.
- Advising and mentoring cross country and track & field athletes. Being available to assist in maintaining year-round contact with runners, encouraging year-round training regimens.
- Promoting sportsmanship and character development among athletes.
- Assisting in the planning and administration of team-building activities.
- Becoming Earlham-certified to drive vans.
- Supporting other Earlham athletic programs and coaches.
- Being responsive to the needs of support staff.
Experience & Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree is required; a master’s degree is preferred.
- Previous collegiate coaching experience, preferably at a NCAA Division III school, or success as a head coach at the high school level.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional leadership and a commitment to, and understanding and appreciation of, NCAA Division III athletics and wellness in a private liberal arts college.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience working on a campus with a diverse student body.
- A current and valid driver’s license is required.
Please send a letter of application, resume, and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, Indiana 47374-4095
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College continues to build a community that reflects the gender and racial diversity of the society at large, and, therefore, we are particularly interested in inviting and encouraging applications from African Americans, other ethnic minorities, and women. Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).