Macintosh Setup and Support Specialist — Information Technology Services
October 18, 2016
Earlham College invites applications for a Macintosh Setup and Support Specialist in the Client Technology Services division within Information Technology Services (ITS). This position reports to the Client Technology Services Manager. This is a full-time, 12-month administrative faculty position. Salary is commensurate with experience, including a full benefits package.
The Macintosh Setup and Support Specialist will perform the administration of the desktop and mobile environment (focusing on but not limited to Macintosh Systems) to include the administration of desktop management, patch evaluation and distribution, software packaging and distribution and day to day troubleshooting and repair of client technology issues.
Earlham College offers technical leadership and services to our customers with a focus on providing innovative solutions, delivering exceptional customer service, and creating a reliable infrastructure that demonstrates value to the students, faculty, staff and alumni of Earlham College.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide the day-to-day troubleshooting and support of College-owned computing equipment including hardware, software and peripherals in a Macintosh and Windows environment.
- Perform the installation of computer hardware, software and peripherals.
- Participate in the work of Client Technology Services and Information Technology Services as needed.
- Configures, installs, monitors and maintains office and public use hardware and software technologies, including patching systems and protecting against viruses/malware; and troubleshooting peripheral and mobile devices in a Macintosh and Windows environment.
- Responsible for managing, building and deploying group policies in an open LDAP environment; and will leverage KACE, and Deploy Studio for Apple to manage the computing environment.
- Responsible for the creation and maintenance of Macintosh images for all workstations, including labs, specialized workstations and office workstations for faculty and staff.
- As a member of the Earlham College faculty participate in the work of the faculty: attending faculty meetings, and, if nominated, serve on faculty committees.
- Provide primary support for hardware and software on, or connected to, College-owned computing equipment.
- Use request-tracking system to track the work being done.
- Keep end-users informed as to progress on requests.
- Assist in the installation, configuration and support of new Windows and Macintosh based hardware, and software as needed.
- Installation, configuration and ongoing support of software applications such as: Parallels, Microsoft Office for Windows, Microsoft Office for Macintosh, and Adobe Products and course specific applications across the campus including labs as well as faculty and staff systems.
- Research for solutions utilizing Internet-based resources.
- Complete computer migrations and redeployments.
- Perform component level replacement and repair of computing equipment.
- Participate in providing coverage of the Help Desk.
- Utilize imaging technologies (Deploy Studio and / or KACE) to develop and deploy standardized configurations, and to facilitate the transfer of user data between computers.
- Provide support for hardware and software on, or connected to, College-owned computing equipment.
Experience & Qualifications
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience (within the last five years) in the installation, configuration and support of Macintosh-based computer hardware, software and peripherals is required.
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving issues related to Macintosh-based Operating systems is required.
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving issues related to Windows-based Operating systems is beneficial. (In an open LDAP environment is preferred.)
- Experience in working with remote desktop applications such as BOMGAR is preferred.
- Experience with workstation imaging & management software such as KACE, and Deploy Studio for Apple; security policy setup on lab and public workstations; software tweaks, registry edits and other updates to operating system software to increase workstation security, functionality and usability.
- Experience using Automator to build custom script applications, DiskMaker to build bootable iso’s for OSX, Munki for software distribution, Pacifisit, Packages, Stuffit Expander, TextWrangler, and Python scripting is preferred.
- Experience with Managed Software Center using Mac and Python scripting is preferred.
- Familiarity working with VMware or other virtualization products.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Experience providing technical support in a higher education environment is preferred.
- Team oriented, well organized; able to manage their time well and be able to work and communicate with users at all levels of computer knowledge.
- Excellent people skills and a desire to provide exceptional customer service.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
The review of applications will begin immediately, and the search will remain open until the position is filled.
Earlham College continues to build a community that reflects the gender and racial diversity of the society at large, and, therefore, we are particularly interested in inviting and encouraging applications from African Americans, other ethnic minorities, and women. Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).