The following timetable is for students planning on matriculating into medical school in the Fall of 2015. For those going directly to medical school after graduating from Earlham, this would be those students entering their junior year in the Fall of 2013. As you can see, you must start applying to medical school more than a year before you intend to start.
Fall Semester 2013:
Be sure your AdviseStream portfolio is up to date including adding reflections for your classes and extracurricular activities.
Fall 2013 or Spring 2014:
Register for spring/summer MCAT, OAT, DAT, or GRE. Information, including helpful hints on preparation for the MCAT may be found at the MCAT website.
The OAT, DAT and GRE are offered at flexible times (see specific sites above for details).
Spring semester 2014: (January - April):
- Schedule interview appointment with the HCAC through AdviseStream.
- Request three faculty letters of recommendation to be written and the names sent to the Director of Health Careers Advising, Michael Deibel. He will contact the faculty regarding the submission of these letters to the committee.
- Emphasize the importance of this date to your referees.
- Enroll in MCAT or other appropriate test prep program or begin self-study program.
- Mandatory meeting for applicants to all health schools in the coming summer.
Late Spring or early Summer 2014:
- Take the MCAT or appropriate tests.
April 15, 2014:
- Deadline for submitting one-page personal statement, faculty letters, and having a completed AdviseStream account including profile, academics and engagement planner and application schools selected.
- Be sure your AdviseStream account includes your summer contact information (including phone number)
Late Apri 2014:
- Have an interview with the HCAC.
- AMCAS online applications will be open. Other common application services (CAS) will also open, i.e. AACOMAS from the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine, etc. CAS will be initiated in early June.
June (1st week) 2014:
- First day AMCAS will accept applications. More than 80% of all U.S. AMCAS applications are submitted by June 30, Make sure yours is one of them!
June - August 2014:
- Complete non-AMCAS applications and secondary applications for AMCAS schools. Be aware of individual deadlines, but don't wait until just before these deadlines! Your chances are improved by completing your applications well in advance of the deadlines, and definitely before the end of August.
- Meeting with Michael Deibel or William Harvey of those who have applied to discuss the interview process.
- From then on: Interviews and acceptances!