The M.A.T. and M.Ed. programs seek to admit individuals who have the competence and commitment to be outstanding educators and who value the principles and practices that inform the programs.
Both programs accept applications from graduates of Earlham and actively seek graduates from other institutions.
A selection committee of G.P.E faculty and admissions officers assess applicants for both programs using the pieces of the application listed below. Before concluding the application process, applicants are invited to campus to participate in an interview.
Candidate fit and readiness for the programs are assessed through:
- Personal statement (essay)
- Grade point average (at least 3.0 in either major or overall course work is desired)
- Standardized test scores (for M.A.T. only) (CASA or other alternatives)
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one from a college professor)
- Transcript review to assess the breadth and depth of student preparation
Commitment to the cohort and the programs' principles and dispositions for teaching are evaluated mainly through analyses of the application essay, interviews and letters of recommendation. We also seek candidates who have positive experiences in working with youth as one other means of confirming their desire and capacity to become an educator.