Web Developer — Marketing and Communications
June 09, 2014
Earlham College is accepting applications for the position of Web Developer in the Marketing and Communications Office. This is a full-time, 12-month administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a full benefit package.
This position is a member of the Web Communications team. S/He will lead custom Web development for College’s main website, as well as other Web-based initiatives. The Web Developer will experience the freedom of building custom Web applications throughout the entire project lifecycle with his/her own leadership and programming skills.
The Web Developer will be required to provide project leadership including application architecture, design input, user interface/client-side programming, database design/programming and application/server-side development.
The Web Developer reports to the Director of Web Communications & Services and works closely with many members of the teaching and administrative faculty. S/he interacts frequently with members of the Marketing and Communications Office, Information Technology Services and more broadly with individuals in Admissions and Advancement.
The right individual for this role will be a self-starter, motivated and energetic developer who takes initiative, enjoys finding solutions to a varying number of challenges, is detail-oriented, and takes extreme pride in their work.
A couple of days of telecommunting is also an option.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist in gathering requirements and project specifications.
- Attend project kickoff meetings with clients.
- Take ownership of daily project needs and communications.
- Communicate project status and deliverables with managers and clients.
- Design, create and program SQL Server databases per project needs.
- ASP.Net (C#) development per project needs.
- Manage project tasks, timelines and communication.
- Perform routine site maintenance as needed.
- Administer and provide training on the content management system.
- Perform other tasks as needed for successful project completion.
Experience & Qualifications
- Experience with Object Oriented Design and Programming.
- A solid understanding of Web application development processes, from the layout/user interface to relational database structures.
- Understanding the benefits of SEO and the development skills to support SEO are a plus.
- Experience with configuration and administration of Web Content Management Systems.
- Strong communication and writing skills.
- Ability to communicate directly with peers, managers, and clients while leading development to a completed and successful solution.
- Strong organization skills to manage multiple timelines and complete tasks quickly within the constraints of timelines and budgets.
- Ability to grow professionally in a highly flexible and fast-moving environment.
- Awareness and pride in 100% client satisfaction.
The Web Developer should hold a bachelor’s degree or have equivalent experience in information technology, information science, or other related field. S/he should demonstrate a strong background in Web-based production. Two to four years of experience in Web-related work is preferred. This person should understand and support the goals of a liberal arts education and possess the following skills or qualities:
- Creation of responsive site layouts/user interfaces from provided design concepts by using standard HTML/CSS practices.
- Coding of CMS templates and embedded applications.
- Development of robust and user-friendly .NET-based Web applications.
- Design and creation of relational database schemas.
- SQL Server T-SQL development.
- Application/Framework design as needed.
- Specifications/Requirements gathering as needed.
- Routine daily maintenance of existing sites and applications.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references in a single electronic file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
Review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until position is filled.
Earlham College continues to build a community that reflects the gender and racial diversity of the society at large, and, therefore, we are particularly interested in inviting and encouraging applications from African Americans, other ethnic minorities, and women. Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).