Women’s Basketball Second Assistant Coach
September 08, 2014
Earlham College is accepting applications for the position of Women’s Basketball Second Assistant Coach in the Department of Athletics. This administrative faculty appointment is through May 1, 2015. The salary is $10,000 and includes housing.
The Women’s Basketball Second Assistant Coach works to assist the Head Coach, performing all duties in compliance with all NCAA, Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference, and Earlham College rules and regulations.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Build relationships with prospective student-athletes.
- Plan and host prospective student-athlete visits to campus.
- Assist head coach in responding to contacts generated over the spring and summer. These include coaches’ mailings, attendance at AAU tournaments, observing team camps, recruiting services and admissions contacts.
- Establish and maintain recruiting database.
- Perform phone calls and emails to recruits usually 5-10 calls per night, 3-4 nights per week.
- Attend practices and/or games of recruits usually 2 or 3/week during season.
- Office Duties
- Video coordinator – assure that all video exchanges are performed including the filming and copying of our games, the request and secure of future opponent game film and the editing of our games and future opponents tapes.
- Assist the head coach as travel coordinator by arranging bus and van schedules, pre- and post-game meals and overnight accommodations.
- Organize meals and film sessions over fall and winter breaks.
- Assist the head coach in monitoring academic progress.
- Be a presence in the office, able to assist player needs.
- Practice/Player Development
- Assist head coach with daily practice plan.
- Assure playing court set-up i.e. baskets, clock, properly inflated balls, clean practice gear.
- Direct breakdown drills providing individual player attention and more repetitions per player.
- Assist in overseeing weight training and individual workouts.
- Assist in designing off-season workouts for player improvement.
- Scouting/Game Preparation/Game Day Duties
- Assist in game plan and scouting of future opponents.
- Instruct second team as a scout team.
- Assist with game decisions i.e. timeouts, substitutions, strategy, addressing individual player concerns during game.
- Post-game duties – video exchange, arrange team meal, secure statistics and contact sports information director.
- Help distribute, collect and inventory player gear and equipment.
- Assist with all program fundraisers.
- Be an active member of the athletic department staff by attending staff meetings, supporting other athletic programs and being responsive to the needs of departmental support staff (director of athletics, support staff, athletic trainer, sports information director, equipment manager).
Experience & Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree is required; a master’s degree is preferred.
- Previous collegiate coaching experience, preferably at a NCAA Division III school, or success as a head coach at the high school level.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional leadership and a commitment to, and understanding and appreciation of, NCAA Division III athletics and wellness in a private liberal arts college.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience working on a campus with a diverse student body.
Please send a letter of application that addresses the various responsibilities of the position; resume; and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single electronic file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College continues to build a community that reflects the gender and racial diversity of the society at large, and, therefore, we are particularly interested in inviting and encouraging applications from African Americans, other ethnic minorities, and women. Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.