Assistant Field Hockey Coach
March 10, 2014
Earlham College is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Field Hockey Coach in the Department of Athletics. This is a full-time, 11-month administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a full-benefit package.
The Field Hockey Assistant Coach works to assist the Head Coach, performing all duties in compliance with all NCAA, North Coast Athletic Conference and Earlham College rules and regulations.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Build relationships with prospective student-athletes.
- Plan and host prospective student-athlete visits to campus.
- Assist head coach in responding to contacts generated both in and out of season. These include coaches’ mailings, attendance at showcases, observing tournaments, recruiting services and admissions contacts.
- Establish, update and maintain information in recruiting database (Front Rush).
- Perform phone calls and emails to recruits.
- Attend practices and/or games of recruits.
- Attend summer recruiting showcases, if available.
- Help head coach coordinate Gold Star recruiting.
- Create field hockey newsletter.
- Office Duties
- Video coordinator: assure that all video of games are sent to opposing coaches within 3 business days of the game.
- Upload game film and edit video on HUDL.
- Assist the head coach as travel coordinator by arranging bus and van schedules, pre- and post-game meals and overnight accommodations.
- Assist the head coach in monitoring academic progress.
- Be a presence in the office, able to assist player needs.
- Assist players with time management and coordinate study tables.
- Practice/Player Development
- Assist head coach with daily practice plan.
- Assure playing field is setup.
- Assist in overseeing weight training and individual work outs.
- Assist in designing off-season workouts for player improvement.
- Scouting/Game Preparation/Game Day Duties
- Assist head coach in game planning and scouting of future opponents.
- Instruct second team as a scout team.
- Assist with game decisions, i.e. timeouts, substitutions, strategy and addressing individual player concerns during games.
- Post-game duties: video exchange, arrange team meal, secure statistics and contact sports information director.
- Help distribute, collect and inventory player gear and equipment.
- Assist with all program fundraisers.
- Be knowledgeable and able to assume head coaching responsibilities in case the head coach is unable to perform her duties.
- Be an active member of the athletics department staff by attending staff meetings, supporting other athletic programs and being responsive to the needs of departmental support staff (director of athletics, support staff, athletic trainer, sports information director, equipment manager).
Experience & Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree is required; a master’s degree is preferred.
- Previous collegiate coaching experience, preferably at a NCAA Division III school, or success as a head coach at the high school level.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional leadership and a commitment to, and understanding and appreciation of, NCAA Division III athletics and wellness in a private liberal arts college.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience working on a campus with a diverse student body.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references as a single electronic file to the Human Resources Office at Earlham College. The email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College continues to build a community that reflects the gender and racial diversity of the society at large, and, therefore, we are particularly interested in inviting and encouraging applications from African Americans, other ethnic minorities, and women. Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.