The Bonner Scholarship provides financial support for those admitted domestic students who demonstrate financial need and a commitment to service.
Please familiarize yourself with the information below before applying to the Bonner Scholars Program.
- Eligible candidates must have an expected family contribution (EFC) on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) of $12,000 or less in order to be considered. Be sure to complete the FAFSA no later than February 15.
- International students are not eligible for this program, since several components of the financing are applicable only to domestic student funding.
- Be sure to complete your Earlham application no later than February 15.
- To apply for the Bonner Scholars Program, you must complete an application which includes eight short question answers and have someone familiar with your service or other relevant activities submit a letter of recommendation.
- The deadline for receiving all applications and recommendations is February 15
- All materials are submitted via online forms
In addition to completing the Bonner Scholars Program application, you should ask someone to write a letter of recommendation for you. This individual should be someone with whom you do volunteer work (a supervisor, fellow volunteer or someone served by your volunteer activities) or someone outside your family who is familiar with the qualities and activities which qualify you for the Bonner Scholars Program.
As soon as you decide to apply for the Bonner Scholars Program, please take the following steps so that the person writing your recommendation will receive the information they need to work on their letter for you while you are working on the application.
- Contact the person you have in mind and make sure he or she can write a letter of recommendation for you and submit it by February 15. Let him or her know that an email will be sent with information and instructions for submitting his or her letter.
- As soon as you know who will be writing your recommendation letter, complete the Recommendation Request Form which simply ask for your name and the name, email address and phone number of your recommender. Once you have submitted this information using the online form, an email will immediately be sent to the recommending individual with full information and instructions for submitting his or her letter.
We will notify all applicants of our decision by early March. Shortly thereafter, recipients will receive a financial aid package reflecting the Bonner Scholarship and any other additional aid to meet the student's total verified financial need.