To use Bike Share follow these easy steps:
- Sign up online.
- Go to Public Safety, find an available bike in the rack outside and note the painted number on the frame.
- Sign out the bike at the Public Safety front desk and receive the key for your bike.
- Unlock your bike and do an “ABC Quick Check” for the following:
Go ride! Wear a helmet, follow IN road rules, and lock your bike securely to a non-removable structure when you are not using it*
Return your bike to the Public Safety rack by 11 p.m. on the day of rental (a late fee applies**)
Tell your friends and get out there again soon!
- Air — inflated tires and no visible defects.
- Brakes — both levers working and brake pads align with wheel rims when engaged.
- Chain + cranks — wind the pedals backwards, make sure the chain is on, running smoothly and has no rust.
- Quick — Quick release levers on wheels and saddle should be closed and secure.
- Check — do a short ride to test for comfort: seat is at a height that allows you to place the balls of both feet on the ground when astride the saddle; check that your gear shifters work and select a gear that enables you to turn the pedals easily without spinning inefficiently.
If any parts are not working, please make the necessary adjustment if you able to. Otherwise ask a Public Safety staff member for help or request a different bike and inform the staff of the faults on the bike that needs fixing.
* Bike Share bikes found unlocked will be returned to Public Safety and a $10 service fee will be applied to your student account
** to qualify for free rental, bikes must be returned by 11 p.m., otherwise a late fee will be charged to your student account. Charges will also be passed on to the user for any damage beyond normal wear and tear.